How do I extract messages and voicemails from my iPhone or iPad? There’s an app for that!
Though iCloud and other storage services are great for storing data and personal information, it’s not always easy to pick and choose what data you want to save. Having an internet-connect backup for your iPhone or iPad is a great safety measure, but if you want a locally saved copy of your messages, voicemails, and other data on your Mac, PhoneView is an app that can help you out.
There are lots of advantages to keeping track of your personal data with PhoneView. To use just one example, if you use your phone for work and personal use and need to keep track of your work communication for billing and tax purposes, you may want to keep a detailed record of your call history, messages, and other communication in one handy location.
How to extract messages and voicemails from your iPhone and iPad with PhoneView
- Connect your iPhone to your Mac with a Lightning cable.
- Launch PhoneView from your Launchpad.
- Click on the type of Data you want to copy to your Mac.
Click on the content you want to copy.
- Click Copy from iPhone.
- Choose your Save Settings.
As you can see PhoneView can copy a lot more than just messages and voicemails. Your call history, contacts, media files, notes, and more can all be copied to your computer for safekeeping.
You can download a 7-day free trial of PhoneView and get a feel for how the system works to see if it’s right for you. Of course, the trial version does have some limitations. For example, you won’t be able to export more than ten text messages from a conversation with the PhoneView demo. The full version of PhoneView costs $29.95.
How to request a copy of your data using Apple’s data and privacy portal
Of course, you can always get your data directly from Apple. By requesting a copy of your data through Apple’s privacy portal, you’ll get much more than messages and voicemails, but everything else you’ve got on your iCloud account as well.
Read: How to request a copy of your data using Apple’s data and privacy portal
Would you use PhoneView?
Will you download PhoneView, we want to know! Leave us a comment below.
Updated January 2019: PhoneView is still a great app that lets you save copies of your data from your iPhone or iPad. We’ve also included a link to request all your data from Apple directly.
Backing up: The ultimate guide
- Backing up: The ultimate guide
- Best backup services and programs for your Mac
- Best cloud service apps for your iPhone and iPad
- How to back up your Mac
- How to back up your iPhone and iPad
- How to back up your Apple TV
- How to back up your Apple Watch
- How to restore your Mac from a backup
- How to restore your iPhone or iPad from a backup
- How to restore your Apple Watch from a backup
- How to recover your files when you don’t have a backup