Instagram changed the game when it copied the stories feature from Snapchat into its app. Today, millions of stories are uploaded on Instagram daily, and some are worth saving. Although you can screenshot an Instagram Story, it’s not the best option for video Stories. Here’s a quick guide to show how you can download Instagram stories on your iPhone.
- Although you can screenshot an Instagram Story, it’s not the best option for video Stories. Here’s a quick guide showing you how to download Instagram stories on your iPhone.
- How to save your own Instagram Stories on iPhone
- Automatically download IG stories and save them to iPhone camera roll
- How to download other peoples’ Instagram Stories on iPhone
How to save your own Instagram Stories on iPhone
- Open Instagram.
If your profile picture is highlighted with a pink or gray color, you can save the Story to your iPhone.
- Tap your profile icon photo to open the Story.
- Press the More button at the bottom right and select Save…
- Now, select Save Story or Save Photo.
- The Story should now be accessible in your Camera Roll.
Automatically download IG stories and save them to iPhone camera roll
Using the More option sounds convenient, but when you start posting Instagram Stories daily, saving each Story individually becomes a hassle.
Here’s how you can set your iPhone to auto-save Instagram Stories.
- Open Instagram on your iPhone.
- Go to your Profile and select the three lines at the top right.
- Go to Settings → Privacy → Story.
- Turn on Save to Camera Roll.
Now you won’t have to save your Instagram Story on your iPhone manually.
How to download other peoples’ Instagram Stories on iPhone
There’s no official way to download other people’s stories on Instagram. So, you will have to rely on third-party sources! I’ve curated a list of the best apps to help download Instagram Stories on iPhone.
1. Shortcuts: Best free iOS Instagram Story saver
Shortcuts is one of the most powerful apps on the iPhone. It can automate plenty of things on your iPhone, and now you can use it to download Instagram Stories.
Even though it requires a little time to set up, it’s the only app that allows you to save Stories without exiting the app. Moreover, once you’ve set it up, it’ll be available on all your devices, thanks to iCloud.
Here’s how to add an Instagram Story downloader to Shortcuts:
- Ensure you have the Shortcuts app on your iPhone.
If not, download it using the link below.
- Download Instagram Download shortcut and also the Scriptable app from the App Store.
- Open Instagram on your iPhone.
- Select the Story you want to download.
- Tap the three dots → Share to… → Instagram Download.
- Select Always Allow if prompted.
- When you download a Story for the first time, it will take you to the Scriptable app. Sign in with your Instagram account in the Scriptable app’s web browser.
- Download Instagram Stories without exiting the app.
- Select Share to…, and the Shortcut will show all the Stories uploaded by the account.
- Select the Story and it’ll be saved to your Camera Roll.
- Optional: You can set the Shortcut to directly save the Stories to iCloud Drive by going to Shortcut settings so it can be accessed across all your Apple devices.
- Doesn’t require you to exit Instagram
- Available on all Apple devices
- Doesn’t require you to copy/paste the link to the browser
- Directly saves Stories to Photos or iCloud Drive
- Allows you to download IGTV videos, Stories, and posts
- Takes time to set up
- Animations are a bit slow
With more and more social media platforms introducing Stories to their app, it’s becoming difficult to juggle different tools for downloading Stories from different social media platforms.
Social Connect is one such service that allows you to download stories and posts from Instagram and YouTube videos. The app even sorts the videos and photos in different sections.
- Download stories from Instagram and YouTube
- Easy to use
- Lack of a button to switch from Instagram to the app
- No auto-copy paste of links
3. Faster: Easy to use Instagram Story saver app
Although a less-known service to download Instagram stories, Faster is one of the best apps out there.
Unlike other apps, Faster has an Instagram button in the app, so when you want to switch from Faster to Instagram after downloading the Story, you can do it with a click of a button. They even support Face ID in the app.
The only caveat with Faster is that it doesn’t have a direct “Save to Photos” button. You have to press the Repost button to save the Story to your Camera Roll.
- No watermark
- Button to switch from Instagram to Faster
- Pastes links without user interaction
- Downloads IGTV videos
- Ads, cost of removing ads too high
- No direct option to save Story to Photos
Price: Free (remove in-app ads for $7)
4. Best Story saver for Instagram online
If you don’t want to download an app or run a Shortcut, you might also want to check out online Instagram story-saving services. There are many websites like Videodownloader.club and storydownloader.net, but I found StorySaver.net to be the best.
It’s a free and easy-to-use tool that makes downloading Instagram Stories effortless. Here’s how you can download Instagram Story using StorySaver:
- Open Instagram on your iPhone.
- Go to the account’s profile page you want to save the Story of.
- Copy the Instagram Profile link.
- Now, open StorySaver.net on a browser.
- Paste the URL address in the download bar.
- Press Download and type the Captcha for verification.
- The service will list all Current Stories uploaded by the account in the past 24 hours.
- Click Save as Photo to download the Story.
I hope you were able to understand how to download Instagram stories on your iPhone. You can also check out the curated list of best Instagram repost apps, if you’re collaborating with other Instagram users. If you want more info, go through the below question and answer section.
FAQs for downloading IG Stories
Q. Why can’t I download Instagram Stories from a particular account?
In some cases, you might not be able to download an Instagram Story from the services mentioned above. It might be due to the account being private or protected from these services. In such cases, you can take a screenshot of the Story.
Q. Will the other person know that you are downloading their Instagram Story?
No. Instagram doesn’t notify the person whose Story you save. You can take screenshots or download the stories from the apps mentioned above without any worry.
Let us know in the comments below which app or service you think is the best Instagram Stories saving tool.