DuckDuckGo is a search engine that focuses on providing spam-free results. Using a feature called !bang results you can search a curated list of high-quality sites directly.
1Do a search on DuckDuckGo.com. Start the search with ! or 1 and then enter the topic you are looking for. Specifically a search can look like:
- !wikiHow tie a tie – Searches wikiHow.com for “tie a tie”
- !wikipedia Thomas Jefferson – Searches Wikipedia for “Thomas Jefferson”
- !youtube cat videos – Searches YouTube for “Cat Videos”
2Notice that you have landed on the desired page or on the search results page of the actual site you wanted to search from, with fewer clicks than a normal search requires.
- Most large non-spam sites have the !bang codes established on DuckDuckGo.
- !ducky or ‘! ‘ or ‘\’ is the equivalent of Google’s “I’m feeling lucky” button: It will take you to the first result.
- The most common searches also have abbreviations!wp (wikipedia), !g (google), !i (images) and !yt (youtube)
- Many generic keywords also work such as !images, !traffic, !coupons, !parking.
- !safeoff runs a search with safe search disabled.